Sunday, May 12, 2013

When The Chickens Come Home To Roost

American Photography 29?
 
The big photo annual, one of the main three ( main two? ) for those who do what I do. The jurors and the book as a whole have a slant to the more risk taking world of editorial rather than the locked-in splendor of the advertising oriented Communication Arts Photo Annual. I was happily surprised, and then not surprised at all, that the jurors embraced 4 images from our series How The Chicken Conquered The World, created with photo editor Molly Roberts for Smithsonian Magazine.
 
I did love this project, brought to life in all it's wonder and creativity by stylist Shannon Amos. The month the magazine was out, serendipity ( or the gods of marketing ) were on my side. Molly Roberts and I were able to cross pathes at LOOK3 and toast the absurdity of what was our most unusual collaboration to date. At one point I asked her the question every photographer wants to ask:
 
TA: Why did you assign me this story? Can I ask?
 
MR: Oh, well I thought to do this right I needed someone whose photographs were funny and serious at the same time. That's what I think of when I think of your photographs. And it worked.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
See the American Photography 29 Slide Show HERE.
 

No comments: